Property Sellers Guide
Moving home is often a stressful and nerve-wracking time for people. More often than not it is because buyers and sellers do not know what the procedure involves and are kept in the dark by their solicitors.
Here at Newmans. we believe that transparency and well-informed clients are the key to a successful solicitor-client relationship and so we have created the following step-by-step guide to help you understand and follow the process you and your solicitor will be involved in:-
- Instruct your solicitor
- Receive a client care letter from your solicitor confirming your instructions and setting out their fees and requesting any paperwork they need from you including proof of ID
- Solicitor receives a sales memorandum from the estate agent detailing information (price etc.) about the property
- Your solicitor will apply to Land Registry for Official Copies of your registered title and will obtain your title deeds and prepare a draft Contract to send to the buyer’s solicitor along with any relevant paperwork provided by you
- Your solicitor will receive “enquiries” from the buyer’s solicitor on matters arising out of the paperwork sent to them and your solicitor will liaise with you in responding to those “enquiries” as thoroughly and accurately as possible
- Your solicitor will receive further “enquiries” and will liaise with you until all “enquiries” are satisfactorily answered
- Your solicitor will receive the draft contract amended and once this is approved by your solicitor along with the draft Transfer Deed, he/she will report to you with the Contract and Transfer Deed to sign
- You will sign the Contract and Transfer Deed if you are happy to proceed and will send these to your buyer’s solicitor who can now exchange Contracts
- Exchange of Contracts. The completion date is now set
- Your solicitor will send your signed part of the Contract to the buyer’s solicitor and will receive the buyer’s signed part of the Contract along with any deposit agreed between the buyer and seller
- If you have a mortgage to redeem your solicitor will apply for and receive a redemption statement stating the exact amount of money you will owe to your lender to pay off your mortgage on the completion date
- Completion. Your solicitor will receive the purchase money from the buyer’s solicitor and will authorise the estate agent to release the keys to your property
- If you have a mortgage, your solicitor will send the redemption monies to your lender to pay off your mortgage and will send any surplus money held on your behalf in the client account back to you
- Your solicitor will send the signed Transfer Deed plus all other title deeds to your buyer’s solicitor
- The sale process is now complete.
Click on the links below to access out property guides.
Our Horley & Reigate offices cover the following areas:
Horley, Epsom, Esher, Guildford, Woking, Leatherhead, Dorking, Banstead, Kingswood, Purley, Croydon, Sutton, Coulsdon, Tadworth, Caterham, Oxted, Godstone, Redhill, Reigate, Gatwick, Crawley, Lingfield, East Grinstead, West Grinstead, Horsham, Forest Row, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, Orpington, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Worthing, Brighton, Lewes, Uckfield, Eastbourne
Our Mayfair office covers the following areas:
Mayfair, Marylebone, Fitzrovia, Holborn, Covent Garden, St James’s, Westminster, Pimlico, Victoria, Soho, Hyde Park, Hyde Park Corner, Bond Street, Marble Arch, Paddington, Euston, St John’s Wood, Notting Hill, Bayswater, Camden, Hampstead, Angel, Islington, Isle of Dogs, Canary Wharf, Clapham, Clapham Junction, Clapham Common, Balham, Kennington, Barbican, Kings Cross, Maida Vale, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Chelsea Harbour, Kensington, South Kensington, West Kensington, Fulham, Fulham Broadway, Green Park, Southwark, Belgravia, Bloomsbury, Finsbury, Pentonville, Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, Barbican, St Pauls, Gray;s Inn, Lincoln’s Inn, Temple, Battersea, Battersea Park, Nine Elms, Holland Park, Earl’s Court, West Brompton, Parsons Green, Putney, Hammersmith, Waterloo, Vauxhall, Wandsworth, South Lambeth, Southfields, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, South Wimbledon, Roehampton, Barnes, Richmond, Sheen